The History & Heritage of MGC

Share This Page

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Share This Page

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

Share This Page

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
Share on print

Leading amateurs and well-known professionals from all over the globe have walked our fairways

Ryder Cup legends including Lee Westwood, Darren Clarke, Howard Clarke and Mark James have competed at the club; so too stars of the future including our own Joe Bannan and Casey Jarvis (winner of the 2017 Reid Trophy).

The Club has produced many great golfers who have represented both county and country. Roger Smithies, represented Lancashire over a long period of time. Kelly Tidy and Rachel Connor represented Lancashire and England and went on to become tour professionals.

Anne Sharman, Donna Barnes, Elaine Clark, Karen Clayton, Jennifer Fallows, Sophie Powell, Sue Warrington, Gareth Clarke, Andy Davis, Tom Thorpe, Beth Greenhalgh and Katy Jane Stanley are amongst our members who have represented Lancashire.

 

Thursday, August 29, 2020
October 1882
In October 1882 the club’s eight founder members played their first round of golf over a small nine-hole course of some 1856 yards at Manley Park in the Whalley Range district of Manchester. They had no clubhouse and had to share the land with the farmer’s cattle and sheep.
Thursday, August 29, 2020
1883
In 1883 when it was considered that the latter club had ceased playing the words St Andrew’s were dropped from the title and the original Manchester Golf Club was called “The ‘Old’ Manchester Golf Club”, a title it retains to this day.
1898
The inevitable encroachment of urbanisation compelled the club to find a new location and in 1898 the Club moved to Trafford Park.

The land was leased from the Trafford Park Estates Company, who had purchased the de Trafford’s family estate in 1897.

Trafford Hall became the Clubhouse and despite the proximity of the Manchester Ship Canal, the new course was hailed as the most prestigious in the area.
1910
Industrial development and fears that the lease would not be renewed when it expired in 1912 again forced the club to seek new land.

In 1910 the club announced that it intended to move to Hopwood Park, the owner of which, Edward Robert Gregge Hopwood, had agreed to lease the land for 35 years dating from Christmas Day 1912.
30 March 1912
The course laid out on approximately 247 acres, was designed by Harry Shapland Colt, one of the foremost golf course architects of his time. It was ready for play by September 1911 but not open to members until 30th March 1912.

Apart from relatively minor modifications the general layout of the course has remained much as Mr Colt originally designed it, although it has been lengthened from its original 6145 yards to 6491 yards.
1925
Ownership of the club was secured in 1925 with the purchase of its freehold for £10,000.
festival-week-slider-image
1985
The most radical change to the club was the extensive alterations made to Hopwood Cottage in 1985.

These changes are perfectly illustrated by the clubhouse as it is today.

Otherwise most of the characteristics of ‘This beautiful park ……’ as it was described in 1911, have been retained.
festival-week-slider-image


This is a Club that supports and inspires golfers to become the very best that they can be. Our Junior Development programme is second to none in the region and as a result Manchester Golf Club will continue to churn out top golfers for many years to come.

discount graphic

Special Rates

Only available through the office

Society & Corporate Rates

The club offers a memorable day-out for societies and companies - with special rates available on application. Simply contact us to find out more.
Contact Us