Hopwood is a popular venue on the North West Open Event circuit. The Hulbert Trophy is an annual qualifier for the Northern Order of Merit and the Club plays host to hundreds of visitors in its renowned Festival Week, when a series of Open competitions are played back to back over six days in late July / early August.
Ladies, Seniors, Juniors and Mixed are all accommodated in their own Opens during the course of the golfing season. The course consistently features in the ‘Best of …’ golf guides, has played host to various prestigious events, including the Lancashire Amateur Championship in 2011, PGA European Tour Qualifiers and The Player’s Tour, and is widely considered to be one of the finest inland courses in the North West of England. In 2013 the Manchester Golf Club played host to the Northern Counties Championship and in 2014 the England Golf Captains. In 2017 Manchester hosted the prestigious England Golf “Reid Trophy” and international field of 14 year old boys.
The members extend a warm invitation to golfers wishing to take part in Open Events at the Club in 2020 join us for a great day’s golf on our fantastic course.
Entry forms can be downloaded by clicking on the individual events below. To download you will need Adobe Reader. To download free Adobe Reader Click Here
Alternatively, you may elect to use the ‘Book Now’ button to organise and pay for an event today using our online booking service. You will be able to view the current start sheet for these events and select a time that suits you best.
Events that do not have the ‘Book Now’ facility are either subject to a draw nearer to the date or they may be an event with a shotgun start. Start sheets for these events will be displayed closer to the time.
Kevin Sykes played in our Seniors Open during Festival Week, this is what he had to say ‘I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for a most enjoyable day today at your Seniors Team Event.
All the staff at your club were most welcoming and friendly. The course was a credit to your greenkeeping team, it was very well presented and the greens were in an excellent condition. On completing our round, we sat down to a very nice meal in your clubhouse.
Please thank all concerned in making it a really enjoyable day and we look forward to making a return visit.
Best wishes for the rest of the golfing year. Kind regards Kevin Sykes (Wrexham GC)’
|Date||Competition||Entry Fee||Entry Form||Starting Times|
|Tuesday 31st March 2020||Ladies Open Spring Hop – Cancelled||Team of 3 (13 Holes) – £30||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Sunday 26th April 2020||Open Mixed Team – Cancelled||£80 per team of 4||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Sunday 17th May 2020||Gents Open Fourball Betterball – Cancelled||£50 per Pair||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Monday 1st June 2020||Gents Open Seniors 4 Betterball – Cancelled||£50 per Pair||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Sunday 5th July 2020||The Hulbert Trophy||£35 per Player||Entry Form||No online booking|
|Monday 29th June 2020||Ladies Open Stableford – Cancelled||£48 per team of 4||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Sunday 2nd August 2020||Team of 3 Stableford||£75 per team of 3||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Monday 3rd August 2020||Senior Gents Team||£120 per team of 4 including two course meal||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Tuesday 4th August 2020 Morning||Seniors Trophy for Gents||£25.00 per player including bacon roll and tea/coffee||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Tuesday 4th August 2020 Afternoon||Ladies Team||£100 per team of 4 including meal||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Wednesday 5th August 2020||Gents FourBall Betterball||£50 per Pair||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Thursday 6th August 2020||Festival Trophy – Cancelled for 2020||£140 per team of 4 including carvery||Entry Form||No online booking|
|Friday 7th August 2020||Gents Open Four Man Team||£120 per team of 4||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Thursday 6th August 2020||The Junior Open||Junior Open – £10||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Monday 21st September 2020||The Nahum Cup||18 Hole Medal – £18||Entry Form||No online booking|
|Sunday 4th October 2020||Open Four Man Team||£100 per Team of 4||Entry Form||Book Now|
|Tuesday 20th October 2020||Ladies Open October Hop||Team of 3 (13 Holes) – £30||Entry Form||Book Now|
MANCHESTER GOLF CLUB ALLOW ONE PLAYER IN A TEAM OF FOUR OR PAIRS EVENT TO BE UNDER EIGHTEEN YEARS OF AGE ON THE 1st JANUARY 2020.
PLEASE NOTE Entry fees will not be refunded unless notice of withdrawal is received by the Manager 7 Days prior to any open event . The Club reserves the right to refuse any entry without giving a reason.
LADIES’ SPRING HOP 2019 – Cancelled
Monday 16th April 2019
- First Sarah Catterall, Rita Bottomley & Mary Hassall (Manchester Golf Club) 60 points
- Second Lynne Townsend, Chris Monks & Viv Rigby (Rossendale & Pleasington Golf Club) 59 points* cpo
- Third Christine Clarson, Megan Crook & Sandra McManus (Manchester, Boat of Garten & Rochdale Golf Club 59 points* cpo
OPEN MIXED TEAM EVENT 2019
Sunday 28th April 2019 – Cancelled
- First C Jakubowski, S Jakubowski, S Bury and J Sharp Tytherington Golf Club 84 points * card playoff
- Second S Heywood, J Heywood, D Sully and D Sully Manchester and Lytham Green Drive 84 points *
- Third G Shrimpton, E Pearson, A Kilner and P Kilner Keighley Golf Club 82 points
OPEN GENTLEMEN’S FOURBALL BETTERBALL 2019
Sunday 20th May 2019
- First Mike Turner & Graham Frees 48 Points
- Second John Sheard & Garry Clarke 44 points Card Play Off
- Third Rod Hartshorne & Mike Hartshorne 44 points Card Play Off
- Fourth Mike Ferguson & Tony Betton 42 points
OPEN SENIOR GENTLEMEN’S FOURBALL BETTERBALL 2019
Monday 3rd June 2019
- First A Veitch & D Swale 45 Points
- Second J Dykins & M Gorrill 44 points CPO
- Third P Mitchell & T Sparkes 44 points CPO
- Fourth G Arnall & W Thomas 44 points CPO
THE HULBERT TROPHY 2019
Sunday 16th June 2019
36 Hole Amateur Scratch Medal & Northern Order of Merit Qualifier
- First Place:Ian Kenwright 68 +71 = 139
- Second Place:William Nimmo 67 + 75 = 142
- Third Place:Daniel Huxley 71 + 72 = 143
- Fourth Place:Calum Metcalfe 71 +72 = 143
- Fifth Place:Joseph Bannan 69 + 75 = 144
- Sixth Place:Greg Holmes 71 + 74 = 145
- Best AM:Andy Davis 69
- Best PM:Max King 70
- Best Nett:Travis Eaton 75 – 77 off 5 = 142 Nett
THE LADIES’ OPEN 2019
Monday 1st July 2019
|Winners:||Tracy Capal, Lisa Chrimes, Michelle Black & Olivia Brewster||87Pts|
|2nd:||Janet McFarlane, Kath Ruddy, Eileen Fallon & Beryl Murphy||80Pts|
|3rd:||Linda Gills, Val Barrass, Phillipa Ashby & Carolyn Francis||78Pts|
THE MANCHESTER JUNIOR OPEN CHAMPIONSHIP
Monday 19th August 2019
- First Place:
Thomas Whittaker Rossendale Golf Club 69 Nett
- Second Place:
Andrew Haswell Deane Wood Golf Club 71 Nett Card Play Off
- Best Boys’ Gross – Max King Manchester Golf Club 73
- Best Boys’ Nett – Thomas Whittaker 81-12=69
- Best Girls Gross – Leah Butler Formby Ladies 87
- Best Girls’ Nett -Caitlin Feeney Pleasington Golf Club 92-18=74
- The above four players will be entered into the Justin Rose/Telegraph Junior Golf Championship
THE NAHUM TROPHY
Monday 24th September 2018
The winners were
|1st||Carol Merritt||Manchester Golf Club||91-19-72|
|Gross Prize||Katie Sibley||Carlisle Golf Club||Gross 77|
|2nd||Val Willis||Rossendale Golf Club||87-13-74 cpo|
|3rd||Karen Clayton||Manchester Golf Club||79-5-74 cpo|
|4th||Wendy Meston||Rossendale Golf Club||93-19-74 cpo|
OPEN FOUR MAN TEAM EVENT 2019
Sunday 6th October 2019
- First K. Webb, D. Abeal, R. Hodgkins & S. Howarth -Pash 89 Points
- Second T. Senior, M. Tench, S. Girdlestone & J. Girdlestone 87 Points
- Third S. Maclachlan, T. Shepherd, A. Sedwick & L. Mellors 85 Points cpo
- Fourth E. Thompson, R. Proctor, J. Mansfield & M. Wilson 85 Points
Congratulations to all winners of Open Events at The Manchester Golf Club during 2019.
Please remember to book your preferred events for 2020 via our online booking system.